Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Kids Grow Up Too Fast

I know, I know.  Everybody always says that.  I am usually pretty ok with it.  I consider myself to be mostly level-headed and not over-emotional.  I don't get all sappy at birthdays.  Surprisingly I didn't cry on the first day of school.  I try to spend my time enjoying my kids at whatever stage they're in, instead of moping about the things I can't do anymore.

However........ I read something yesterday that has me cringing and begging time to please be kind and slow down NOW.  In "Parenting" magazine, there was an article headlined as "Answers to OMG questions about S-E-X."  Curious, I sought out the article.  The age group this targets is called tweens, which from what I have seen is 10 to 12 year olds.  And then the panic set in.  My oldest son will be 10 this summer.  Holy hell!  I have no desire what-so-ever to discuss calmly what oral sex means.  I had already started mentally preparing for how to handle "alone time," since I have boys, but this took things to a whole new level.  Now I am freaking the eff out.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

I always wanted to be the kind of parent that my kids could go to about anything.  Anything at all.  I think when I made that decision that I forgot about this topic.  Pretty sure.  Yep, I was thinking about bullying and, um, trends and current events.  Not that I have anything against sex.  Actually I think that is part of my fear.  How much information is enough and how much is too much?  Please, oh please, can't we go back to matchbox cars and Little Golden Books???

No comments:

Post a Comment